Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thoughts from Bible study

This weeks Gospel hits me hard. Here it is:

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,
"The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. 
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example. 
For they preach but they do not practice. 
They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry
and lay them on people's shoulders, 
but they will not lift a finger to move them. 
All their works are performed to be seen. 
They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. 
They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.'
As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.'
You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers. 
Call no one on earth your father;
you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called 'Master';
you have but one master, the Christ. 
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;
but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."



Now in case you forgot I am a youth minister. This Gospel makes me look at myself, really look at my self. When Jesus says; therefore do and observe all the things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but do not practice. It made me realize all the times that I am a hypocrite. I preach confession many times to my teens, heck last night we had a penance service for our confirmation class and out of the 90 of them I would say 80 of them went. Its a good thing they listen to what Christ said even though they don't know it. Many times I find myself to prideful to push myself to go to confession. I know the importance and I preach it all the time. It will make you feel better, I always tell the teens! Then why wouldn't I want to feel good? Why don't I go more often? Last Lent I went every week and it was seriously amazing! I felt so good, so close to God. My conscience was forming in ways I didn't know was possible. Even though it was really hard at times to go and admit that I continually screwed up, I made it a priority to go. God Blesses that effort so much and the amount of grace we receive it so amazing and precious. I have friends who were healed for addictions because of the power of frequent Confession. What an amazing gift Christ has given His Church. 



Lord I confess to you that I am a hypocrite and that I don't practice what I preach. Please help me to practice then preach. I thank you for using me, a broke vessel to reach your youth. Please put the broke pieces of me back together. Thank you for the opportunity, thank you for being an approachable God, that through your grace, by me asking for forgiveness I am remade in total union with you. Lord please help me to desire purity of mind, body and soul. Please keep me close to your sacraments. Help my soul to be found in you and desire to run back to you when I mess up. I love you Lord thank you for your forgiveness.  Amen


0 comments:

Post a Comment