Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thoughts from Bible study

Every thursday morning, I get together with a couple guys from our church and we discuss the mass readings for the coming weekend.  Here is the Gospel for this weekend:

Gospel
Mt 22:34-40

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees,
they gathered together, and one of them,
a scholar of the law tested him by asking,
"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" 
He said to him,
"You shall love the Lord, your God,
with all your heart,
with all your soul,
and with all your mind.
This is the greatest and the first commandment.
The second is like it:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 
The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

Wow! If that didn't catch your attention, maybe you should take another look. The greatest commandment, You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. I have heard this reading before and it never bothered me until now. Love God with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind? That is really hard. Now I know there is nothing better to invest your everything in but can I really love Him with my whole heart and mind? (yes i left out soul-- because i think if you love God with your whole heart and mind your soul follows your actions)  Now my day to day life is what I am struggling with here. If I love him with my whole mind, I have to give up some things. I don't know if I can. I want to but its gonna take some grace. Does this include my music and my TV shows? Please God tell me no! I want those things. I find it really interesting the timing of this reading, now that I have gotten more into reading. (Christian Books) Its not a huge shock to me that I should be filling my mind with better things like reading rather than watching TV or seeing what I can entertain myself with online. 


I feel like I try love the Lord with my whole heart even though my heart might not be whole. I have to do a better job finding Him in there and seeking Him first and loving others through that love for Him. What if God meant when He said and love your neighbor as yourself, He was talking about your neighbor as being Him. If we love the Lord with all of our heart, all of our soul, and all our of mind, I think we love everyone in return. How would it be possible to not love our neighbor if we loved God with everything we were? Its not possible! So love the Lord and find Him in your heart. Find your relationship with others in the Lord and love them through loving the Lord. 


God, Please give me the strength to seek you and only you. When times are hard and I don't see you, make my heart beat harder for you. Help my heart to be whole, so I can love you with my whole heart. Please help me with loving you with my whole mind, that I may grow in knowledge of your love for me. And help my soul be filled with love for You for there is no one more worthy of my love. Amen




0 comments:

Post a Comment